The ILF hosted a conference on "EDIS, NPLs, Sovereign Debt and Safe Assets" with leading international experts in the House of Finance on 14 June 2019. Over 80 guests, students and alumni of the ILF participated at this extraordinary conference. Prof. Dr. Andreas Cahn, Executive Director of the ILF, and Mr. Patrick Kenadjian, Senior Counsel of Davis Polk & Wardwell London LLP and Lecturer of the ILF, welcomed the speakers and participants of the event and gave a brief introduction into the agenda and in the different panels of the conference.
During the morning sessions, a policy round and a bankers' round presented and discussed the issues as well as the challenges of a European Deposit Insurance Scheme (EDIS) as one important element of the envisaged EU Banking Union.
The afternoon sessions of the ILF conference saw speeches and panel discussions which examined topics of non-performing loans (NPLs) and sovereign debt. Finally, the structure of the European Deposit Insurance Scheme was analyzed in detail.
The conference was concluded by closing remarks of Prof. Dr. Hans-Helmut Kotz, SAFE Policy Center of Goethe University Frankfurt and Center for European Studies of Harvard University.
Video Links to Conference:
The following experts were speakers and panelists at the ILF conference:
The Policy Round: the Arguments For and Against EDIS
- Burkhard Balz, Member of the Management Board, Deutsche Bundesbank
- Adam Farkas, Executive Director, European Banking Authority
- Édouard Fernandez-Bollo, Secretary General, Autorité de Contrôle Prudentiel et de Résolution, Banque de France
- Martin Hellwig, Director emeritus, Max Planck Institute for Collective Goods
- Klaus Wiedner, Director Financial Surveillance and Crisis Management, DG FISMA
Moderator: Nicolas Veron, Senior Fellow, Bruegel and Peterson Institute for International Economics
The Bankers’ Round: What EDIS Does For Us and Our Customers
- Roland Boekhout, Member of Management Board Banking, ING
- Sylvie Matherat, Member of the Management Board, Deutsche Bank
- Wim Mijs, Chief Executive, European Banking Federation
- Karl-Peter Schackmann-Fallis, Executive Member of the Board, Deutscher Sparkassen- und Giroverband
Moderator: Thomas Huertas, Senior Fellow, Center for Financial Studies, Goethe University Frankfurt
NPLs: How and When Do We Solve the Problem, or is it Solving Itself?
- Andrea Enria, Chair, Supervisory Board, European Central Bank
- Christian Ossig, Chief Executive and Member of the Board, Association of German Banks (BDB)
- Fabio Panetta, Deputy Governor, Bank of Italy
- Thomas Wiegand, Managing Director, Cerberus Deutschland Beteiligungsberatung GmbH
Moderator: Rebecca Christie, Visiting Fellow, Bruegel
Sovereign Debt: Is This Really an Obstacle to EDIS and, if so, are Safe Assets the Solution?
- Andreas Dombret, Adjunct Senior Research Scholar, Columbia University
- Colin Ellis, Chief Credit Officer – EMEA – Credit Strategy, Moody’s Investors Service
- Isabel Schnabel, Professor of Financial Economics, Institute for Finance and Statistics, Bonn University
- Jeromin Zettelmeyer, Dennis Weatherstone Senior Fellow, Peterson Institute for International Economics
Moderator: Patrick Kenadjian, Senior Counsel, Davis Polk & Wardwell London LLP
Structure of EDIS
- Dominique Laboureix, Director, Single Resolution Board
- Nicoletta Mascher, Head of Banking, European Stability Mechanism
- Arthur Murton, Deputy to the Chairman for Policy, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- Anita van den Ende, Director of Financial Markets and Deputy Treasurer General, Netherlands Ministry of Finance
Moderator: Patrick Kenadjian, Senior Counsel, Davis Polk & Wardwell London LLP.