Dr. Hendrik Haag is a partner in Hengeler Mueller's Frankfurt office.
Dr. Haag advises leading German and international banks and corporations on all sorts of financings as well as capital markets transactions (including debt, hybrid, equity and equity-linked). He also has a special focus on bank regulation.
Dr. Haag was born in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. He studied law at the universities of Mannheim, Heidelberg, Lausanne (Switzerland) and Freiburg and was admitted to the German Bar in 1985. He received the degree of doctor iuris from the University of Heidelberg in 1988. After spending two years working with law firms in the United States, he joined Hengeler Mueller in 1987 and became a partner in 1992. He is an active member of the International Bar Association where he was Co-Chairman of the Banking Law Committee (2005-2006) and Chairman of the Legal Practice Division (2009-2010) with more than 40,000 business lawyers from around the world as members.
He has 5 children and enjoys tennis, skiing, sailing and motorbikes. He is also a very lousy golfer.
Dr. Haag has published a variety of articles on banking and capital markets law matters.
- AfP, Zeitschrift für das gesamte Medienrecht, IV. Quartal 1986, Aufsatz "Bewertungsrichtlinien für Verlagsrechte", 1986
- Die Erfassung von Verlagsrechten nach dem Bewertungsgesetz, Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, 1990 (zugleich Dissertation an der Universität Heidelberg)
- Co-Author "Innovative Kapitalinstrumente zur Verstärkung des Kernkapitals deutscher Kreditinstitute", Kreditwesen 1999, 168
- Co-Author: Beck'sches Formularbuch zum Bürgerlichen, Handels- und Wirtschaftsrecht, Kapitel "Personalsicherheiten und Kreditvertrag", 9. -11. Aufl., 2006-2011 (Neuauflage in Vorbereitung)
- Oxford University Press, "Security over Receivables"; Author "German Chapter" 1st and 2nd edition., 2008-2011
- Co-Author: "Unternehmensfinanzierung am Kapitalmarkt", Kapitel "Übernahmevertag Aktienemissionen", 1.-3. Aufl., 2005-2013
- "International Acquisition Finance", European Lawyer Reference Books, 2008, editor and chapter on Germany
- "Banking Regulation", European Lawyer Reference Books, 1st and 2nd editon, 2012, 2014, Chapter on Germany
- Oxford University Press, Capital Markets Law Journal, Vol. 2, No.4, Co-Autor "Retail cascading in Germany – a model for a revision of the PD?", 2007
- Oxford University Press, "Set-Off Law and Practice, an International Handbook", Co-Author Chapter on Germany, 1st and 2nd edition, 2005, 2008
- Henry Steward Publications, Journal of Financial Regulations and Compliance, Co-Author "Collective action with respect to bonds issued under German law", 2004
- Co-Author: City & Financial, "A Practitioner's Guide to International Money Laundering Law and Regulation", 2003
- Various short articles in "The European Lawyer", 2002-2006
Other Teaching Positions
Dr. Haag teaches the law of international debt capital markets at the University of St. Gallen, Switzerland.